Register NOW - Children Rights for Healthy Environment webinar by UN and youth groups
Children’s Rights to a Safe, Clean, Healthy and Sustainable Environment in ASEAN
No group is more vulnerable to environmental harm than children. One of the most fundamental obstacles to the effective protection of children against environmental harm is the lack of awareness of the intimate links between a safe and healthy environment on the one hand, and children’s rights on the other.
In July 2020, 17 youth experts from eight ASEAN countries joined other ASEAN experts in
drafting 37 principles to guide the realization of children’s right to a safe, clean, healthy and
sustainable environment in ASEAN. This webinar is organized by UNEP, UNICEF, OHCHR,
UNMGCY, UNEP MGCY, Asia Pacific Youth Caucus and ASEAN Youth Organization; and
intends to build upon this engagement by offering other children and youth from all ASEAN
countries a chance to provide their thoughts and ideas for finalizing those principles.
Scope and objectives
The webinar, organised together with the UN Major Group for Children & Youth and regional youth networks, will introduce the basics of environmental rights and children’s rights to a healthy environment.
Youth experts who were part of the expert group will present and explain the draft principles and an interactive platform will enable participants to provide their ideas and suggestions. Youth advocates who are standing up for their environmental rights will tell their stories.
The objectives of the webinar are to:
▪ Raise awareness of children’s rights to a safe, clean, healthy and sustainable environment
▪ Gather input on the draft principles and policy guidance
Children and youth in the ASEAN region.
Intended outputs and outcomes
The intended outputs of the webinar are:
▪ Suggestions for improving the draft principles and policy guidance
▪ Suggestions feeding into a draft statement from ASEAN children and youth calling on ASEAN Member States to, in accordance with the draft policy guidance, take action to guarantee and protect children’s rights to a safe, clean, healthy and sustainable environment
The intended outcomes of the webinar are:
▪ ASEAN children and youth are more aware of children’s rights to a safe, clean, healthy and
▪ ASEAN children and youth have information and tools they can use to communicate with their peers about children’s rights to a safe, clean, healthy and sustainable environment
▪ Raise awareness of the draft policy guidance amongst ASEAN Member States and other ASEAN stakeholders and consider how it may be implemented
▪ Advance meaningful youth engagement in the Children’s Environmental Rights Initiative